Saturday, February 9, 2019

Blog Revival! My Journey as a Gal

Hello gals, and welcome to a gyaru revival of my blog!

You might know of me from Instagram (@majisuka.shin) where I share my coords and looks. I thought it would be fun to revive this little blog and explain how I got into gyaru! <3

What is gyaru?

Gyaru is a Japanese street fashion that originated among school girls in the early 90s, dominating fashion trends during nearly two decades. A rebellion against traditional Japanese beauty standards and expectations regarding how women must behave, gyaru are easily recognisable due to their celebration of tanned skin, bleached hair and a loud, wild, confident attitude. Through the years, gyaru has evolved and branched out into very different substyles.

source


Neojaponisme has a three part, really interesting article on the birth and evolution of the gyaru.

Hime Hime Star describes the history and substyles of gyaru in a brilliant in-depth series on her YouTube channel, with the collaboration of other gaijing gyaru around the world. It is a must watch for any girl interested in the style.



My Gyaru Beginnings (2014-2015)

I have known of gyaru since around 2010 when I went on a trip to Tokyo, but I didn't actually fall in love with the style until 2014-2015 when I came across some amazing gals while I lived in London, Chewiee (Chewieepon) and Lizzie (Hellolizziebee). I was out for bubble tea with friends when Chewiee joined us and I was totally dazzled, I was like, who is this girl, look at her crazy nails, I love her confidence and wildness, damn, how have I never noticed this style before?

At the time I found the makeup a real challenge, especially because I couldn't seem to make it work with my features. Between this, the stress of studies, and moving to yet another different new country, I ended up stopping my (very noob) beginnings and was happy just being a lurker.



This is one of my first "gyaru" looks (ahem)... I had no clue how to contour, use eyeshadow, and I just used BB cream as a base. Stylewise I was mostly inspired by kurogal/rokku gyaru and was super proud of the only gyaru brand item I owned at the time, the Skinny Lip "sexy" belt!



My Gyaru Style Now (2018-)


source
Fast forward three years! During which Black Diamond was making videos for Kawaii Pateen, and I discovered Aochan, who has a modern and approachable style while still undoubtedly gyaru. Her "simpler" looking makeup gave me confidence to start experimenting again. During 2018 I got a lot more comfortable with my makeup skills (I finally figured out contouring!), and I started sharing my looks on Instagram and other social media.

(my best attempt at manba so far <3)

I own very few brand pieces and have a small budget but it is fun to look for offbrand that fits into the style and I am slowly expanding my collection thanks to secondhand sites such as Fril or Mercari. Stylewise I am mostly in love with old school and 90s gyaru at the moment, thanks to the its recent comeback. My main inspirations are Black Diamond 2000 and the Blackout and Akipoyo gyarusa!

I am still far from reaching my 100% so this year I hope to get closer to that goal. I also want to make gyaru friends online and be an active participant in the international community. Bring on 2019! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment